January 20, 2017

VFX: POV Overlays

Second post of the year (and on the same month!).  Truthfully, I'd like to post at least once a week this year, but we'll see.  *Fingers crossed*

Today's post is a simpler one than usual.  Rather than waiting till only major updates are available (which makes for a very inactive blog), I figured this year I should post little bits and pieces more often.  So in that spirit, today I bring you a couple of simple visual overlays I recently made.

Two POV styles: a camera's viewfinder, and a pair of binoculars.



They're pretty simple, but a lot more work goes into them than you might expect.  For example, there's actually a little bit of pixelation applied to the viewfinder's graphics, while the binoculars have an ever-so-slight shade of blue around the edges.  And here's some of the fonts I had to decide between for the viewfinder's timecode:


I know there's a lot of preset tools already out there for this sort of thing, but for the sake of control and authenticity, I chose to make them myself.

Finally, here's some shots of the overlays in action:





And so begins a series of smaller, yet (hopefully) more frequent posts this year!

- Erik (Director)

No comments:

Post a Comment